Introducing Lancaster Grand’s New Foyer
The New Foyer
Lancaster Grand is very compact considering its 460 seat capacity. It has an extremely small foyer and bar and being 238 years old, it was not designed with disabled access in mind. The Foyer has been planned since 2008 following a decision to redevelop the area around the theatre and it was felt the time was right to build a new foyer to provide additional space. Visit our fundraising pages to make a donation or email us for further information:
The foyer will benefit theatre goers, the community and the long term future of the theatre by:
- increasing circulation space
- greatly improving access with the installation of a platform lift
- creating an intimate studio space for smaller productions, community groups and schools.
- providing a spacious coffee and alcohol bars at street level.
- providing additional space to allow the theatre to host conferences and seminars
- providing additional income to help to ensure the theatre’s continued operation for generations to come
The theatre is owned under a Trust arrangement by Lancaster Footlights, a registered charity (number 509425). Looking into the future, the additional income streams made possible by the new foyer will provide additional finance which will help to ensure the long term viability of this gem of a theatre.
To date, the theatre has raised £½ million helped by the donation of a generous legacy by Tony Yates who was an avid supporter of the Grand Theatre. This provided a major boost towards the £2.3 million needed to build the foyer.
The new foyer design was given planning approval on 7th January 2019 . Our aim is to raise the additional £1.8 million by 2022. However, you will begin to see changes around the theatre in 2021 in preparation for construction of the foyer.